Posts by Place

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Tips for Preparing for Mock Teaching - in answer to a request by Joe

Hey Joe and all the rest. I'm answering a question I received from Joe here, since it may be helpful to all sorts of people.

Joe is going into Chungdahm Training and asked me for advice on preparing for the mock teaching you do during the training week. Here's my reply:

1) Don't overthink it. I know many people who stayed up until all hours preparing for the next day. They got little sleep and panicked about it too much. I recommend you do a simple prep, and know the information you're going to teach, but don't write yourself a script. Being natural in the classroom is important.

2) Take it seriously, since you're preparing an actual lesson that will translate directly into the classroom. Do as much work as you think you will realistically do in preparing for a real class.

3) Chill out and breathe. Its easier to do the mocks if you've not worked yourself into a nervous breakdown. Just remember that the trainers are there to help you improve.

4) Listen to the advice of the trainers. Remember they do know what they're talking about, and they are the ones who ultimately decide if you pass or fail. They're there to help you get better, so hear what they are trying to say.

5) Run through the exercise as if you were a student. This is perhaps the easiest way to prep. When I prepared, all I had was the outline I'd be using for the day. Circle things in the book if you want, write out the outlines you'd like the kids to get to, and just go through it once as if you were a student. That way you know what problems you might face, what sorts of topics you'll be discussing, and content beforehand.

I think that's all I can give you. Top on my list is don't panic about it. You should be comfortable with the level of work you do to prepare, and you should remember there is -always- room for improvement in this. That's the whole point of training week. Be prepared to take criticism and use it.

Hope that helps, Joe. If you or anyone else needs to contact me at all for any reason, remember there is a "Send Sam an Email!" section on my site for anyone to use.

Good luck and best wishes,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am going to moderate comments, just because I know what some of you are like, and that way it will tell me everytime someone comments and I can make sure to read them all! :)