Posts by Place

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Teacher Training at Bucheon - Substitute Teaching (11/20/12)

Tomorrow we start formal training in the new topics we'll be teaching this term, but for the time being we've been doing observations. Joseph had to substitute in for a class (the teacher left last week but the term doesn't end until after this week). He let us sit in and then during the Critical Thinking Projects to join in and work with the kids a bit. They were really funny, and you could tell they were trying, but they also really liked speaking in Korean in class, so all three of us were having issues dealing with them by the end of the three hours.

Anyway, it was actually a lot of fun, and I liked getting involved. Joseph said maybe thursday when he teaches the class again that Amy and I can try teaching part of the class for the day as a bit of practice. We shall see how that goes.

Also this morning, Evan (who is my new favorite person, he does so much for me like getting me an apartment, helping work out bills, doing all the immigration forms for us, making sure we know where we live in relation to the school, taking us out for McDonald's the first night we arrived, and many many more) drove us to Incheon to the immigration office to submit out ARCs. That's going to take about a week to process, maybe two, and they'll deliver it straight to the school when its finished, so I'm almost a card-carrying resident alien of South Korea.

Just a shot post today, as I've got many things to think about and I'm tired and want to go to sleep. I'll not post until later in the week, as I'm going to get back on learning Korean the next few nights while I do more training, so when I get into a classroom I can tell when kids are being rude or saying bad words to me. :D

Also on the list of things to do tomorrow: buy myself a Christmas tree.

Best, Sam.

1 comment:

I am going to moderate comments, just because I know what some of you are like, and that way it will tell me everytime someone comments and I can make sure to read them all! :)