Posts by Place

Monday, November 19, 2012

Bucheon - 11/19/12

So today we started observing classes. This is a really helpful step as part of training, because it puts you right in the environment. I've always learned better by seeing things and doing them, so sitting there in a run-through is really helpful. Thanks Joseph and Anne for letting Amy and I sit in and watch today.

I've finally got my apartment how I want it, so below are some pictures of it with furniture. It's nice and cozy to come home to now.

My Arrival Store mattress pad was too big for my mattress, and it really did very little for me the first time I tried to use it, but I've found a better use for it. After looking around at seating options, I realized that my furniture or the height of my ceiling require that people mostly sit about on the floor anyway. This is really hard on your bottom. I've now cut up my mattress pad and put it under the carpets where you'd sit, so now I have a nice little living room and table to sit and work at either by myself or with other people. Amy bought me a little plant as a housewarming gift, so that's there too.

Anyway, pictures are below.

After the initial training session with Joseph on Saturday, Amy and I ended up going out and drinking with Joseph and his friend Anne. That was a lot of fun, but Monday is the big going out night, and now a lot of the people who were in Busan over the weekend are back again, so we're doing a proper night out now with a bunch of the teachers at CDI (Chungdahm for those of you who just went "Huh? What's that?"). We're looking forward to that a lot, since we've not had the chance to spend too much time with the Bucheon crowd here yet. There's a great deal of sociability at the Bucheon branch, so it should be a lot of fun. I really like the atmosphere, and I'm feeling much more at home.

We've also crossed paths with a few of the Chungdahm April teachers in the area, thought not a lot. They seem really nice, and from what I can tell the CDI and April teachers tend to stay mostly separate, but we met a nice guy downstairs on our way back up who was carrying a little Christmas tree.

Christmas isn't too big in Korea. It's more of a couple's holiday. You can still buy trees and things, and cakes, but it's less about friends and family and more about the couple. That being said, I'm sure the CDI folks do something for Christmas, since they had a big Halloween party when that came around, and Halloween isn't celebrated here either.

Anyway, finally settled in a bit and going about learning the place. Soon it will be time to start visiting new places and blogging about more touristy things.

-Sam


My bedroom - made my bed this time before taking the picture :P


Sitting room looking back towards the door.


The little sitting room. My mattress pad seats are underneath that carpet on either side of the table. I've discovered a way to get internet downstairs for the moment as well. I can't wait until I can get my own, but for now, I can sit here and do my work.


The bathroom with stuff in it now. Those planks on the floor are there so when you've had a shower and later need to go back into the room, your feet don't get wet from the remaining puddles of water. You walk on them like stepping stones instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am going to moderate comments, just because I know what some of you are like, and that way it will tell me everytime someone comments and I can make sure to read them all! :)