Posts by Place

Monday, January 28, 2013

Bundaegi and Hongdae

Sorry for the week's delay in this post. I've been busy with tests at school. As a result I've stayed at home a lot recently, but I do have a few adventures to share.

Last weekend, Van, Amy, and I went out with Rebekah and Karla for a few drinks and dinner. That was all well and good until Rebekah and Karla turned in for the night and then things went a little crazy. Amy and Van decided we should head down to a little place near Rhythm and Booze, the local foreigner bar, where they serve Bundaegi. Bundaegi, for those who are not aware are roasted silkworm larvae. Since they'd both tried some the weekend before when I couldn't go out, they decided it was my turn.

So here's how that turned out:


Yes, that's right. I ate one. Only one. They tasted really weird, like slightly sweet and slightly sour, but also at the same time I couldn't get over the fact that the things had faces. The fish on the table was treated with about as much disdain but after eating a bug I figured I'd have to at least try that as well, and decided that in hindsight, fish is not that bad. Silkworms, though, are off the menu for now.

After that adventure, this weekend, we ended up going out for drinks on friday night with some of the guys from work. We ended up at a club, which was an experience, and then finally a sake bar. In all, I spent only about $15 the whole night. At the Sake Bar, a trio of Korean men decided that they were in love with my smile and told me I had beautiful eyes, and refused after that to let us pay for ourselves. They kept wanting to drink and talk, so with the brother of a Korean friend playing translator we passed quite a great evening all said and done with them all.

Yesterday we went into Hongdae, the hipster part of Seoul, which is packed with bars, clubs, and late-night market stalls. We were going to go a silly art museum with funny artwork, but instead we ended up just wandering around and found ourselves in a place called the Fuzzle club, which was done up to look like a dorm room, with lofted beds above glowing tables, disco balls on the ceiling, and mismatched dorm room type furniture all over the place. Amy was thrilled to find gin and tonic, but overall we didn't drink too much, instead just wandering around, and finally caught the last subway home to Bucheon in time to get some hot chocolate.






Today we stayed in and watched Murray and Djokovic playing in the Australian Open in tennis. This upcoming week we finish intensives, and our kids have a graduation ceremony. Next weekend, Amy and I are going to head back to the art museum.

Until then, that's all folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am going to moderate comments, just because I know what some of you are like, and that way it will tell me everytime someone comments and I can make sure to read them all! :)